The Route >
Here comes the hard part – with so many places to visit, how do you decide where to start and where to go from there?
Various airlines offer ’round the world’ tickets based on mileage – meaning you can book individual legs going around the world in your direction of choice. This is a fantastic option if you want to be regimented on where you want to go and know roughly how long you want to stay there for.
Initially, we were planning on taking trains from London to Moscow and then hop on the Trans-Mongolian Express to Beijing – this ruled out the option of a round the world plane ticket as the journey needed to start in the UK, with no options for any stops in Europe.
This fact alone, led to our decision to take opportunities as they arise and book our flights, boats, trains and accommodation as we go, based on what is the most cost effective – this may take us to places completely off the beaten track or quite literally to places we hadn’t planned on going to, drawing on the ability to change our plans to suit us, to follow our noses and spend time in places we love and move on from those that we don’t…
So in a nutshell – there is no route…
The route will only become the route once that path has been trodden…
The Route So Far…
Havant to London – 13/10/2015
- Megatrain from Havant train station to London Waterloo
London to Paris – 13-14/10/2015
- Overnight Megabus from London Victoria coach station to Paris Porte Maillot coach station (take the M1 tube directly into central Paris)
Paris to Marseille – 15-16/10/2015
- Overnight Megabus from Paris to St Charles SCNF Station, Marseille. Take the Blue metro direct to Vieux Port to get your bearings or walk.
Marseille to Ibiza – 21/10/2015
- Ryanair Flight from Marseille Airport to Ibiza Aiport – found using Skyscanner – An airport transfer from St Charles Station to Marseille Airport takes 20 minutes and runs every half an hour from 4.10am (€8.20 per adult)
Ibiza to Madrid – 24/10/2015
- Ryanair flight from Ibiza Aiport to Madrid Airport T1 – once again found using Skyscanner.
Madrid to Barcelona – 28/10/2015
- Renfe AVE Highspeed Train taken from Madrid to Barcelona, booked via Renfe
Barcelona to Houston, Texas – 29/10/2015-14/11/2015
- Repositioning cruise on the Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Jade, booked via Vacations to go.
- Embarkation at Barcelona Cruise Port
- Calling at:
- Funchal, Madeira
- St Thomas, British Virgin Islands
- Miami, Florida
- Houston, Texas
Houston, Texas (Bayport Cruise Terminal) – 14/11/2015-21/11/2015
Collection from the cruise terminal by our Air BnB host to their houseboat in Clear Water Lake, Kemah.